Hunt, Texas is out in Hill Country of Texas, about a 140 mile ride from Austin. I have met some cool couples along the way, but I don't think there will be anyone to top Louis and Linda. I was only suppose to stay at Louis's place for one night, that quickly turned to three. They had a beautiful converted garage into a casita where we (Jordan (a kid who cycling from Tampa Bay to San Diego, we just met at Louis and Linda's) had our own kitchen, bedroom, couches, etc.
Louis had cycled the Pacific Coast Highway last year and shared his stories with us.This post can't ever do Louis justice, nor will it probably be funny to you all readers, this is more for my purpose of documenting Linda and Louis. You know those people who can just deliver brilliant one liners? They just have the right way of saying something that will get you laughing. If I was a half way decent writer I am sure I could carve this into something comical, but I just don't have the words for it, or really the brain power currently.
We were sitting and eating chili and Louis was telling us that he has a new guest coming in a day. Jordan knew this girl that was suppose to stay at Louis's place so Louis looks Jordan in the eye at dinner, completely changing topics and goes:
"Jordan, is this girl some kind of JESUS FREAK."
I had chili coming out my nose, I couldn't stop laughing.
Freezing rain stopped me from leaving after night one. We stay day number two, and then get up on day three. We were sitting and eating breakfast getting ready to leave and its cold out, maybe 20 degrees with a wind chill of 7.
Louis looks at us (his voice is going to start out all quite and then build) and goes:
"Well you could cycle today and be cold, or you could stay here AND GET DRUNK!"
Sold!!!! Sure enough there was plenty of beers, and some warm wine to be had that whole day.
We helped Louis load up a full truck bed full of firewood that extra day we decided to stay (the least we could do). We took it back to his place, and was just tossing it on his front lawn from his truck bed. He turned and looked at Jordan and I and he goes: "Well if it were up to me, I would just leave this shit here, but Linda would kill me, I mean grab a piece of wood and burn it, why the hell stack it?" We look at the lawn and there has to be 500+ split logs scattered everywhere.
Leaving Louis and Linda's place was one of the hardest parts of the journey. In fact I tried to send a text to Louis after 30 miles after leaving but it wouldn't send since we had no cell service:




No comments:
Post a Comment