Monday, December 23, 2013

Calling it Quits

This was the first day I had ever called it quits due to weather and honestly almost on the trip. Usually it's lower your head and keep pushing on.... Today was special, extra special.

Short version:


Long Version, with a throw back story of how I should have died back in college (well one of many)!!!
Friday:
I climbed the continental divide to Pinos Altos (pronounced like Penos, I kept saying penis altos when we went out drinking that night, how original/mature I know).
This is just the climb:
Sunny and 60 degrees though! 

The very next day:

Bombing down a mountain when it was icy was freaky.... I knew not to touch my breaks as much as I wanted to slow down. I've learned my lesson before:

Begin detour: 
I delivered subs in college for SilverMine Subs. On a late November night I went out for a delivery a mile away, fired up my hog (moped) and started to go, but stopped and thought I better put on my helmet so I went back into the store and threw it on (I had a full motorcycle helmet that went over the chin and had a clear visor:

My manager/coworkers made fun of me since the delivery was close. I told them that it just started to rain, it was cold and that most accident occur close to home (I'm a stats guy) and that I better wear my helmet. I delivered the sub and was headed back on W. Washington approaching Broom Street. I ended up locking up my brakes on a patch of black ice as I tried to stop for a yellow light. I dumped my moped going about 35 mph. I ended up face planting on the pavement, stuck out my hand to break the fall. As my body, and moped went zooming trough intersection for a hundred yards or so, two cars missed me narrowly. I remember looking through the visor of my helmet thinking my guardian angel must be pissed at me as chunks of my helmet came cracking off as the pavement slid by and cars slammed on their brakes. I ended up with a cracked motorcycle helmet and a wrist that was 3x larger than the right one. The wrist had to be splinted for 4-5 weeks by my then girlfriend since I refused to go to the hospital. (I was way to embarrassed, stupid, prideful, you name it...). 

Back to today:
I had a shittier helmet on and that Madison Moped crash was going through my head as I started descending from 7100 feet with snow and ice on the roads. Thankfully nothing but a few wobbles here and there happened. I went into the teeth of a sleet/snow/rain storm with winds anywhere from 20-40mph. Don't believe me? I turned the garmin off after 3 miles becaus of my progress:

That's about 6mph or 10min/mile.... On a bike....

My feet were frozen (they got all wet). For the first time this trip I started to really doubt my decision process and what the hell was going on in my brain. I honestly think I am getting excited that I am within 700 miles.
I ended up making it 45 miles (7 hrs and 3500 feet of descending (that's really slow...)). I came to a town called Lordsburg, NM. I thought I was going to have to pony up for one of the only hotels there (a no name tow, going rate $90 a room). No one was in the volunteer fire station, no one was in one the 8 churches they had in town. My luck would come down to the county EMS building with all it's lights turned off. I knocked on the door and lone and behold someone answered!!!! Victory!!! I asked if I could camp on their land. The paramedic said of course. I set up my tent and Robbie (the guy who answered the door) came running out in the rain 5 minutes later, he told me to get my ass in the building and have dinner with them (which was left overs from last nights Christmas party, JACKPOT!), a hot shower, and sleep in the spare bedroom! I was pumped to find free camping, and now this?!?!? It was like winning the lottory!!!! I ate pizza, lasagna, chips, salsa, cheesecake, salami, cheese/crackers. The worst day I had on the road turned into one the most fortunate nights!

Do. Not. Ever. Panic.
It. All. Works. Out. In. The. End.

No comments:

Post a Comment