Tuesday, November 26, 2013

This Train, UFO, and Gear Review

As always track me:

My bike is called the Ogre (company branded) but I changed its name to represent my trip:
"This Train"
To understand the name change listen to the man: Bruce Springsteen. If you don't like The Boss you must hate how some 60 something year old rocks out harder then you or you favorite group. The guy is seriously a beast, you have to at least respect him since he doesn't know how to slow down. Any how the bike got its name after the chorus of this song, which is also the trips main theme song:

Second thing: if anyone hits me with their car and I die, please do not let the excuse of "I didn't see him" come into play.... Make sure they pay. I am visible up to a half mile and that is conservative. The driver has 1 minute and 4 seconds to do something. I did the math for the lawyer already:
Seriously I look like an UFO! I bet I am in small town newspapers.
Reporter: what did you see Mary?
Mary: Oh Bob, it was awful, this thing had 4 blinking lights on the front, 6 blinking lights on the back, a neon body, corn rolls on its head. He was riding some gigantic spaceship saying: "I am here to probe all the beautiful women!"

Okay so the last part might be true. But in all honesty I leave my lights blinking at all times, always have my neon vest on, and I sit higher then any 4 door sedan. I am just below a mini van. I am right around 6.5 feet tall on that bike. 
I told you I bought the hummer of all bikes. My bike can successfully ride up a Kia and probably smash all of its plastic. I ride American steel biotchessssss!

I bring this up because someone said he couldn't see me and it was the closest someone had got (only like 2 feet, not that close), his wife said she saw me (thanks for saying something, eh?) I told him he had to be blind. That Canadian didn't know to respond to my bluntness.

Gear review:
Garmin edge tour:
The thing is bomb proof, it has been working through rain, humidity, being dropped off a bike traveling 30mph down a hill. This thing is truly Shaun proof! The only con is that sometimes it gets a tad to aggressive with its route. Maybe I am a wuss, but I don't like taking chances. Don't take US-branded roads, just foolish. I would have photos but all it has done is rain the past week.

Bear mace: well we all know I feel about that!

Axiom panniers: I hate you with a passion. You are not waterproof

Ortlieb panniers: you are awesome 

Surly: you may not look gorgeous but you are amazing! Dirt roads, gravel roads, paved, chipseal, grass, etc... No issues.
(Not for my surly, I rode across that field!)

Lobster gloves: amazing but not waterproof

Show covers: waterproof and amazing

Marathon tires: 1300 miles, 0 flats. What have I ran over?
Glass, beer bottles, Kentucky's bourbon bottles, Tennessee's whiskey bottles, Indiana's barb wire, road kill in Alabama/Mississippi, drunk bumps, spikes, etc.

Solar charger: ? Can't tell it's been too cloudy or rainy

Spot GPS tracker: you guys be the judge of that

And now for the MVP of the trip! Drum roll please!!!!!!
The mirror!!!!! Honestly it has been the best investment!

I can't think of anymore gear, but if you can think of somethingn don't hesitate to ask!

1 comment:

  1. Great song. While I agree The Boss is the man, he will never rock harder than this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRt54xjIq7w

    I mean, the album is titled "Ultra Beatdown"...

    ReplyDelete