Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Braveheart

Have you ever seen Braveheart w/ Mel Gibson? If you are over 20 and you answered no, something is wrong with you, especially if you are a guy. Remember the scene where the English are ridding on horses to attack the Scots who are in a line, William Wallace is just yelling, HOLD IT! HOLD! HOLD! Then at the last second he screams NOW and they all pull up those wooden spikes and its just a massacre? Let me refresh your memory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD5Imb7vWSc

Whoever tells you that running is not good for dogs is full of shit. Seriously. I have seen dogs hang with me for up to two miles now running at 15-20 mph. I have lost count of how many encounters I have, but I can assure you that they are built to run. So here I am not more than 20 miles outside of Louisville and three dogs start chasing me, large dogs, 60 lbsish, and they keep gaining ground, I attempt to slam the pedals more. I watched my speedometer go 18, 19, 20 , 21, 22, 23 I topped out at and these dogs were just getting closer, and I understand that 23 is not fast, but its freakin fast when its a 75 pound bike with 29" wheels. I knew I was going to have to use the pepper spray. I reached for the pepper spray and held it out. One dog was right on my back tire and growling. This is really going to happen. You could tell tat one dog was in leaping distance and he was about to make a move, and sure enough he did, he leaped at me. I unleashed a gnarly amount of pepper spray. It was like spraying a fire extinguisher (which some of you remember my fire extinguisher incident from freshman year of college, it was that cool). THE PEPPER SPRAY WENT EVERYWHERE!!!! IT WAS THE COOLEST THING I HAD EVER SEEN (that day)! This is about the time I wish I would have ponied up the cash and bought one of those GoPro helmet video cameras, because this would have been epic to post it. The dog that leaped at me, well his landing would have received a 0 in Olympic Gymnastics, in the movies the landing of the dog would have been an epic tuck and roll. The other two dogs let out a loud yelp and hit the brakes hard. Holy shit this stuff works. As I looked in my bike mirror, I saw one dog still rolling and the other two licking their fur. I ultimately feel bad for the dog but my safety came first.


Keep on turnin'.

1 comment:

  1. There's something about them country dogs...
    Let's just say Vera would have given up after 2 minutes of the chase.

    ReplyDelete