The clock: I had to come back to Chicago for a baptism.
My mind: I just spent 4+ days in SF, a weekend in Big Sur, which resulted in my mind being toast on cycling. I started getting bored with cycling. I started getting sloppy at the end. I lost a pair of gloves, a knife, silverware, socks, and other items. I was swerving all over the road (aside from my Malibu Garbage Slalom), I was just flat out careless. That is what happens when I get bored.
It was truly a magnificent experience, I wouldn't change a thing I did for all those days cycling, but my cycling days are OVER. I need a new challenge, "Part III: Project 145" will cure that.
Total miles?
5,844 miles.....roughly. To be honest, almost every other morning I forgot to start my computer. I would be 2-5 miles in and think, "whoops forgot about this thing." I couldn't care less about the miles, whereas for some cyclists/touring cyclists it became sort of a dick swinging contest. If there is anything I want to brag about it's the following:
- I had a loaded rifle pointed at me
- I met a Hell's Angel who was willing to help me out whenever I needed it
- I was in a tweaker/druggy's room and didn't get killed
- I camped with an alcoholic crystal meth addict who was being sought out by a gang
- I slept under bridges, in ditches, in forests, and never got caught/harmed/killed
- I survived multiple incidents when there should have been a bike crash or two or three - I escaped unscathed
- I survived a drunk driving incident while in a snowstorm on top of the continental divide (I was not the driver... I was the passenger. If I would have known he was drunk, or even remotely drinking, I would not have gotten in the car. I figured out something was up after ten minutes of him driving. I am an idiot, but I am NOT stupid: two very very different things)
- I tempted people to steal my bike all along the PCH so I could quit riding, but no one took it
- Most importantly, I never had a plan, and IT ALWAYS WORKED OUT!
Quick baptism story: Lyra (who was being baptized), was snoozing in my arms. the Deacon cupped his hands, dipped them in the holy water and when I saw this, I knew this was not going to end well for the poor girl. My mind kept telling me to pull the baby out from underneath the hands of the Deacon before he dumped the water. According to my mom, my arms kept twitching backwards, ultimately they stayed there and poor Lyra got doused and did not wake up happy. Maybe the iPhone Emojis will describe the situation best:
Q. Why "Home?"
A. Chicago is sweet, it's probably one of the best cities, but it lacks one thing. No, not weather. Honestly the weather is great, it has 4 seasons! But for someone who needs to be running, hiking, be outdoors exploring, kayaking, rafting, climbing, etc., Chicago will throw a blank at you. By this point we all know Chicago won't be home for me anymore. Currently home is the road, the future home for me is between DC (believe it or not they have great outdoors), Austin, San Fran, and of course: somewhere in Colorado.
At River Shannon's with someone's dog. Women loved this pup:
Part III: Project 145
Little Preview: There will be no bike involved, the Surly Ogre came to Chicago with me and will stay there.











No comments:
Post a Comment